Saturday 17 April 2010

Form Thoery Again

I've posted about this before, this is purely guesswork and my theory.
Basically form theory goes like this players as a result of their own ability and as a result of their teams overall ability have an idea of the team over or underachieving. As they get closer to underachieving they slowly become tighter and more focused until they force a result or just play better. The opposite happens to a team that is over achieving.

Ok mix this in with perhaps ambition, professionalism etc and you have a rough idea of how FM Live works on form.
Thats what I said a few months back. I'm not certain but the game pretty much ignores non official results now. I think, don't know that for certain.

Tactics don't matter!

Well yes and no:) I've always said this but in oddly bizarre twist if your really good at tactics then you'll get bad runs of form.

Think about it, say your team is the 100th best team in the GW and you get them to 50th the players will start becoming complacent. If your good at tactics you'll keep them there, maybe even push them onto 20th but eventually you overachieve so much the fall back is catastrophic.

So you might say the game is simply about players and tactics don't matter but that's not true. As your team achieves more their reputation goes up so their 'natural' position in the GW changes.

If your good at tactics or have a highly ambitious team then you'll bounce more, the trough will be lower each time and the height will be higher each time but tactics do matter. The side effect is that you get a bounce which is unfortunate as if your good at tactics it'll drive you nuts.

It's all theory this and SI are not going to give the game away but to test a theory you need a few examples.

Bottom line is still better players = longer runs of good form shorter runs of bad form, and better tactics = same but more pronounced.

Well that's my theory anyway.

3 comments:

arnoldinho said...

That's interesting Jak. I think I'd be inclined to agree on the evidence of my team this week - had been overperforming, then suddenly went winless in six. Midfielders kept trying 40 yard passes that went straight out of play, full-backs getting caught in possession etc etc. But then eventually we knuckled down and ground out two 1-0 wins on the trot.

One way to test your theory a little might be to alter the philosophy of your team according to their form. So when they're flying give them more creative freedom and let them play more fluidly but once they start getting complacent and the results begin going against tone it down to something more rigid - forcing them to organise and concentrate a bit more.

Arnoldinho
http://shanghaidynasty.blogspot.com

N.R. McLaren said...

I've often felt that my team has a 'ranking window' - if I climb to the top, my form will falter. When I hit the bottom of the window, it will improve.

That would fit with this theory! :)

Jakswan said...

I came up with this kind of theory ohh maybe a year back.

It seems to fit, I'm sure Ov said once that form or morale turns according to a game.

So all you can do is try to play according to your form I guess. If it's on the floor and you go 1-0 down bring a flair player on and gun it.

If you go 1-0 up park the bus. Not really sure how it works and to be honest I'd rather not really know.