Friday 11 September 2009

Spending Spree

Armed with the knowledge that 33yo's are as good as useless to me I'm now glad I fired up the youth system a couple of seasons back!

So I'm back doing the thing I always liked best about FM Live anyway!

Basically my system is a cheap method of getting youths lower potential than the 5 stars but try and find the hidden gems. Don't get me wrong I'd prefer 5stars but loons pay £20k a day so no chance I'm paying that.

Just to give you an idea M'Villa was 5star or 4.5star and for a top 50 team he was a waste of time until 24/25. Ok he's doing it now but eesh that's a lot of wage to get him there.

I do keep my eye out for additions to the squad but stay focused on the bottom line, the aim of youths is get senior players cheap. If they start becoming expensive why bother.

Should a youth start picking up Aq Fee I'll often try him out in the seniors. Most of the time it's 'blah' but sometimes eyebrows raise and you get a pleasant surprise. One game isn't enough but a run is required. I think I have found John Terry, a 6.93 Av Rating might not be jaw dropping but bear in mind 7 of those are from the bench as a DC, that's impressive for a 28yo but a 20yo, wow.

ALSO NOTE THE LOW POTENTIAL:)

The spending spree went on two players, I was getting nervous about my young ish Goalie, his stats were great and a 7+ av rating but I was starting to think he was a great shot stopper.

I could be wrong but having played teams with no goalie and say a DC in goal it's odd what happens. You'll win by a lot but most of the goals don't actually come from mistakes by the goalie, it's just the confidence of the team goes completely and your team seems to gain confidence to such an extent they become Brazilian :)

So I was starting to think that the young low rep Goalie whilst getting a great Av Rating was making the defence / team nervous and it just looked loose. With the stadium done and dusted it was time.

I looked around a lot, I wasn't going to repeat the most glorious signing of them all Sebastian Frey at 34 for £200k. There were 30 year olds £1m Aq Fee but £2m asking price in view of 1.3 was a stretch.

I found a £200k 30+ for £400k on auto but really was that much better than what I had already?

There was a 25yo Regen(?) £650k German GK with 3.5 rep up for £1.5m. That's a little steep but £4k wage.... Really a player like that in wage auction would go for £15k, so that's £800k with signing on fee, there there is the extra £10k wage, at 27 he'd stay on that wage, maybe would lower it at 29...

So here is the math:-

Pay £700k Premium for a Goalie which will do the job for 7 Seasons = £100k a season
£800k for same but extra £10k a day wage = 28x £10k = £280k a season.

He's a Jakswans player now:)

I always keep an eye for youths and a young 19 year old Right Winger caught my eye, he had a £6k wage but Aq Fee £220k and nice stats to suit, 5 star potential and a bit of rep. Clearly kid well on his way, what price.... £220k! Nice deal, I've always found it most odd that regens go for £10k a day and young players well on the way go for what is effectively peanuts:)

It's not exactly filled with glory but we've had a good run. Now I've got the youths going again I'm right back into it. Maybe youth academies will mean you don't have sacrifice youth so much.

No comments: