Wednesday 17 September 2008

Don’t try and second guess SI

I had done a major wibble speculating on what SI would do in the short term exploring the possibility that they would likely open up another Gameworld prior to retail.

The stress tests don’t emulate what users do as they auto-select, but when it’s real they query the database lots, so they would need to do another proper test of the games release. Bottom line was that plans were all ready in place and the Jakswans will be leaving GW14 for GW22 tomorrow night.

My cousins Wales Utd now has come on leaps and bounds in GW15 and I fully expect him to challenge for a Premier League position if he stays focused. At the very least he’ll be glad not to have me sitting on his shoulder telling him what to do.

I’m actually not overly bothered about my team in this Gameworld but do want to get to grips with modding. Primarily I view the role as trying to encourage members of the gameworld into the community and making the gameworld I’m in a fun place to be.

However I think we have millions of mods so I can watch more experienced mods for a bit.

Had an idea for a new FA which is a long way down the road but thought I just as well pitch it:-

The Cut Throat FA
Yes we know that normally FA’s like to spread their money about but this FA is all about pumping our UFFA qualifiers with cash.
Conservative with a big whopping C.
Half of our cash will be given out as daily income but ONLY UFFA qualifiers will get prize money.
It adds an extra dimension to your choice of FA if our members are lowly ranked then you could come in and steal the show. If we’ve a load of High Rep teams then the prizes will be huge.
It’s an idea might not have legs but we’ll test the water in retail season 3.

With servers becoming stable and bugs being nailed it looks as if October is now a realistic target for release. My time as a beta tester has been great, I know I’ve moaned about the game but I don’t think Si wanted bland ‘cool’ and hope I’ve somewhere along the line given something back.

The main concern with release is keeping the Gameworlds alive as the drop out rate is appalling. I suspect by the time that gets to be an issue we could see test teams coming in for introductory offer or maybe even a free trial.

It’s not so much what the game is but it’s potential I think the first thing on Si’s list should be themed worlds. One week seasons, regens only, that sort of thing, it doesn’t seem as if current architecture can support this we’ll see.

Actually keener to be a beta tester than to actually play the full game!

No comments: