Friday 31 October 2008

Transfer Gameworlds

There are some updated vids of the 3D match engine (I'd guess these are very close to, if not actually retail) and they are much better, I suppose when you take into account the match engine behind the game and the 3d combined it has no equal.



Also news today that SI will allow users to transfer into gameworlds but only after that gameworld has hit the end of Season One. There is an exception some Gameworlds will be tagged as 'Advanced' you'll be allowed to move into these from the start and with skills in tact.

I guess if they throttle the release of gameworlds (don't have too many) then they can make the Gameworlds last a little longer.

It was my intention to play a long term game much like I did in Gameworld 6 e.g. youth team and slowly progress. Also I'm assuming stadiums will work where you effectively invest in the future will take money away from you short term and pay it back long term.

The Beta Gameworlds have all died from the bottom up, i.e. high activity levels in the top 100, less in the next 100 and so on. I can't see this changing in retail, also consider the managers that ignored youth in Gameworld 6, by the end of season six had there been an option to move then boy they'd have gone big time.

What would have been left would have been a collection of former youth teams. I'm guessing that a fair proportion of managers don't want to play in a world filled with regens so I'm going to guess there will be a population that will do 3/6 month stints in gameworlds and then move onto a new one.

The scary part, in six seasons in Gameworld 6 we saw around 3000 beta managers chucked into it over it's lifetime, at the end only 300 actives remained. I know people will argue Beta etc but a 10% retention rate is pretty dam low. If you treble it it means there would be only 300 left in a 1000 size gameworld.

With the beta there are three other considerations, (1) you couldn't transfer out of the gameworld, (2) you didn't have a choice which gameworld you joined and (3) running short of numbers? Easy we have thousands waiting to beta test the game. So I'd hazard a guess that they'd be lucky to keep the retention rate at 10% over six months.

I think it if you just treated the game as three / six month stints it's works out fine but if your expecting to stay in a gameworld for ten / twenty seasons currently I can't see it happening.

Unless there is a pyramid but we're not talking about that anymore :)

No comments: