Thursday 10 July 2008

Reputation is the Key?

Well as expected the sale of players has resulted in a huge losing streak. We were winning one game in 2/3 now we’re winning one game in ten. However the performance has remained fairly constant.

This is an extreme example but is symptomatic of the current team, it’s 1-0 at 45 mins, after 76 minutes we’ve missed two penalties have had 20 shots on goal on the opposition have had one. In the 89th minute it’s 1-1.

This is actually realistic I guess and in real life I think a manager would use the ‘run of the green, our luck will change we just have to keep playing like that’ and a I think a real life manager would actually be quite right. A bit like Newcastle last season and not Derby.

In FM Live though I don’t this applies. I do recall one experienced manager telling me ‘IT’S ALL ABOUT REP PERIOD.’ High Rep players stop the bad runs occurring or end them early I don’t know how they do it, i.e. how the match engine converts this but that’s how it works.

So although I think my kids are actually better than the one in ten or one in five teams I play they won’t actually win those games as they don’t have rep or the game decides that I’m due more bad runs.

So this would explain the distinction between youth and senior games why I feel I have more control. Many players have quit the game complaining that they feel like a passenger and I can kind of see what they mean.

This is theory maybe I’m just rubbish but I do think that if my current team isn’t good enough I should be able to watch a game and spot where it isn’t good enough rather than have no indication at all. That is my team should play like Derby if their not good enough rather than play like Newcastle:)

I’ve always enjoyed stats and football and now I don’t really have much ambition to win I have taken more of a distant view of proceedings. It’s interesting to try and work out all the games quirks.

Having sold all these players I know have quite a massive bank balance and a first team that costs around £50k a day which I more less can pay their wages on the interest that I earn!

I'll keep an eye out for a bargain and see how it goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the best posts you've made here. It's a very often overlooked aspect of FML management. As with it is in real life football, veteran players tend to have the ability to look past bad results, use their experience to adapt to different variables thrown at them and are generally more "mature" in how they treat their career.

Many of these younger "stars" that may have high technical & physical skills aren't as developed mentally to handle these swings - hence why this approach can be very unpredictable at times. It's one thing to play in a nothing youth league and maybe a spot start on the senior squad... but it's totally different when all the weight is on their shoulders in providing their club's success.

I've addressed this exact type of mentality being addressed in FML management in the start of my "first season" guide over on FM-Britain - definitely check it out. http://www.fm-britain.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=8290