Thursday 1 May 2008

Rankings and Selling Out

I'm also coming to a conclusion on Youths. The more you play them the better they get, losing is actually good for them. So this season as well as entering all the usuals and quite a few unranked comps to give them a solid grounding and a few tough games.

Today Justin Jones of Matalan Utd was going to restart so he did the decent thing and put fantastic squad in Wage Auction starting at a £1. Ronaldinio and Robben were just some of the big names in auction.

I do know I'm a superstar short of being a great team and I've got the surplus to slip a big name in. Ronaldnio would have been ideal but I was getting nervous of his 29 years. The auction started to head up over £4m and I thought I'd pull out.

Robben didn't really fit as Arda is the star of the team in that position. My thinking was that I'd try Arda as MC and fit two in. I tried this in a game against Monkey Rovers (who oddly just sold Tetteh for £3.6m and bought a 29 Year Old £250k Aq Fee player for £2.5m!) and Arda played a commanding role in setting Wendall loose for an easy 3-0 win.

So this could work and I felt that £3m was good value for Robben even at £3.8m he was still value but decided to let it go. If he'd been an AMC I'd have pushed just a little more. FC Dino eventually bagged him at £3.9m ish. Odd as he's already up to his eyes in wages.

So the position that still isn't right is MC. One thing I'm fairly sure of is not to panic and just go overboard for the 'right' player. Sousa sits there at the moment and he is inconsistent, he goes from Awesome to average and Montero at 16 does the same thing so worse case scenario is rotate the two.

More recently results are still going steady / great it's noticeable that Franco is in covering for Derds (injured). I got Franco as a big man up front, strong with a touch of pace. In terms of ability I think he's a lot worse than Derds but he's more of the right player needed for the team. Mainly he's an old head at 30, an experienced old pro....

I have five player locks and one is on Derds so after two seasons and over 300 goals maybe it's time for him to move on. Maybe I'll catch him again when he's mature and I need an old head. Shame as this season he's broken the first team with some style. Also helped us to finish Runners Up NFA U21 League Season One and a league and Cup U21 double season two.

The other area I'm considering at the moment is at the back, Merreta a fanciful £2million purchase from Costa Curtis at 18 has not really been used much in the first team. I've made him Captain of the U19's and have noticed how rare it is for us to concede at that level. Fitting really that we' played Costa Curtis and Daikte was suspended and Meretta was drafted in to cover. Costa were in the middle of a fine run of form and their Manager was surprised and telling me with us 2-0 up how rare it was for them to concede two goals in a game, must have been quite shocked with 4-0 then.

The run in form I'm fairly sure is a combination of Franco and one other thing, players being match fit. Basically every single player now gets a game and stays match fit. I'm pretty sure SI have coded this in for two reasons one realism, footballers not playing games that would be silly and to keep a check on squad size. It's fairly hard work keeping 60 players fit I've seen some with more than 100 players and that must be close to impossible keeping them fit.

Selling Out
Chrisantus I had this kid on trial last season and he's a powerful and quick 18 Year Old that scores goals from everywhere. There are loads of players like this in the gameworld and generally their a very valuable commodity. He can jump so that's a bonus and he was bagging just over 0.5 goals a game for a team ranked 300.

This would normally put him on £20k area, this would represent very good value. He's 18 though so a free lock if he can bag first team... When I had him on trial in around 20 games I saw him make two or three 60 Yd through balls that would have been fitting of a Gerard. He's quick, can jump, has stamina and 14 Strength for 18 isn't bad.

So what then? He's a target man, play maker, goalscorer who's quick and over 6ft. Errr well I'm just telling you what's in front of me.

You don't need to be a genius to know that Henry is going to be worth £40k a day do you. It's hardly a hard decision, it's not exactly taking a risk is it. We've seen some £100k a day jobs this close season. Torres is one, is he worth £100k a day? He's worth 40k - 60k but 100k no. In two months you can save enough money to pay for someone like that cash.

So I did the silly thing and chucked in £33k a day bid for Chrisantus, one season. If I really really think he's not worth that I'll release him which will cost £1m. The reasons for this radical move are:-
  1. I think he's worth £20k now
  2. I think he'll be worth £35k soon
  3. At 18 it's a long time I have with free auto extends.

There I've talked myself into it now :)

Ohh recent Youth results with Wendall and Chris up front; 4-0, 4-0, 2-2, 4-1, 5-0, 6-0 maybe it'll work out after all.

No comments: