Tuesday 6 May 2008

Youth Tips and Season Three Start

I feel a bit silly writing this after only a few seasons but heck I'll give it a go. I've enjoyed a degree of success over three seasons bringing kids on in FM Live. The youth side of the game is one that really is great as you have little mini dramas in players devolpment.

The first thing, in fact the ONLY thing is that bringing on youth is not the end game. Being 1st in youth rankings is all very well but it will not increase your rep as a club or bring any money coming in. My sole aim for doing youth was secure talent for the seniors.

I don't really understand the thought process behind paying huge wages to kids. I've seen some recent ones go for over £20k a day. Having had some experience with youth at senior level i find them inconsistent. Generally it's your 23 - 31 years old that'll be getting ratings of 7+ and maybe you'll find the odd 16-18 year old that'll be able to do the same but they'll be rare.

At senior level you'll get the odd flash of the future potential or maybe one will get carried through games by the senior players, generally though your really young kids will get slapped about at senior level. So assuming your £20k a day potential superstar has to wait three years for regular first team action it's going to cost you 30 days x £20k x 3 to get him there. Almost £2million! Even at 18 / 19 he may well be hit and miss sometimes if he's a defender that's a liability!

Well you don't need to be a brain surgeon for this piece of advice just go buy a £2million player!

I'll take you through what I did to find a centre back. I got around six centre backs with stats that looked average in the right areas. After a season, two were gone, another season another two, I was left with two. One I have left is great, strong, quick, cultured. He's 18 currently and I hope he'll improve over the next few seasons and work his way to senior level he is fantastic at youth level and now plays U21 and U19. The remaining one will leave at end of season.

These were all sub £300 efforts, total cost to find one very good DC £18,000. I can easily afford to do this all over the pitch every season filtering out players till I'm left with the best.

I've asked other managers, Montero (although he suffers from the age bug and doesn't age, badly needs fixing SI!) he would be 17 now and not 16, has three stars from most managers. Yet I get asked a lot if I'll sell...

Sam Deering 'Highly Unlikely to improve' was a fast winger I had from 16 did a good job at U17 level and at 18 did start to improve, in the end I let him go. If he'd had an improvement at 17 I'd have kept him, even now I still think with enough games he could have become a decent winger.

I think many managers miss the point sometimes you have to field a team that you think might well lose just to try and filter out the good from the bad. If you've got just a few £20k a day jobs then your options are going to be very limited.

Moving on season has now started and generally results have been good despite Pablo being out for six days :(

We've started well in the champions league Qualifiers. The only league to date was away against Boaster FC, very decent side and it was a tight game. My best signing of all time ever Kim Heung Keun pulled off a delightful goal, a long high ball was sent in his direction his first touch left their full back on the floor leaving him with a 40yd run for 1on1 with their keeper. At just 20 years old he sold a dummy and bagged the goal and a vital three points for us. Here is the kid in question:-


Bring me back to the point I raised earlier this kid was like literally hundreds I'd looked at only when I saw him in action did I realise I'd struck gold, BIG GOLD!

Finally apart from the almost unforgivable age bug (some players have been 15 for three game years!) I have to say SI seem to have server stability issues almost nailed. They did go down 1am Sunday morning and were fixed 2am Sunday morning, awesome!

The age bug is more worrying apparently this has been an issue for a long term, I've got four players that are still sweet sixteen and was looking forward to some new kids this season.

No comments: