Friday 11 April 2008

The Twilight Zone

Vanquishers have now started their campaign and with a bang. Despite only playing three games they've opened up with two wins and a draw.

In saying that I felt that we could get a result against them and I've now got in to the routine of playing an important game if we won the last one. Hopefully I shouldn't get sucked too deep into a bad run then.

Anyway their manager explained that he put his good form down to finding tactics that suited his players. After 20mins they'd had a good few chances and decided to juggle things a little. (Won't say what I did you never know who'll be reading :) ). Saw an improvement immediately. Just before half time Wendall picked up an injury so at the start of the second half it was Sene's league debut.

Five minutes in and Sene almost latches on to a ball in the box. Charlie, Vanquishers manager quips 'Wendall would've got to that!' It's a good job I was watching closely cos I spotted Sene's role in our goal.

Arda puts a ball in from the left,, 6'4" Sene goes to attack the ball and instead of going for glory produces a delightful flick to Derds who's in acres of space for an easy slot home.

In saying that Vanquishers had chances throughout the game and managed to grab a goal back. Sadly Camara made a mistake at the back to gift it to them. I was thinking who was going to get dropped on Daikte's return and that mistake might just seal the deal.

Then it's time for the twilight zone....

Inter Retirement I wouldn't call them rivals we'd have so many games. It's a Everton - Liverpool rivalry not a Man Utd - Liverpool one if you get my drift. Top bloke their manager, Nick Megarity. In our meetings at U17 I'd say we have the upper hand, U21 slightly in my favour and he normally beats me with ease at senior level.

The wasn't an FA game so the result doesn't matter really but a 3-0 win away from home, that was odd.

Then I play a team and go 5-0 up in 20 minutes. Their manager then says 'is this your first team?' I check the comp to make sure it's not a reserve league or something. Yes I reply only to be told that his team has Three Senior squads to act 'as cover' and also still has a youth set-up..... Thought I was being over the top with 18 Senior players :)

Kids, getting kids is now proving a little tricky as some managers move into this area of the game. Again it gets competitive for high potential players. The same strat as I've used works here as well. Pay £5,000k a day for a banker or take 25 long shots. Of those long shots maybe one or two will turn into great players, another ten will make it and you'll have to let the remainder go.

The thing is you'll know about the ones that are not going to make it after a season so you can then try another fifteen producing one more great players and around five that'll make it... Well you do the math.

One of these long shots of mine has an interesting story, Sam Deering was as I recall my first U17 player, he had one trick he was quick. I played him in the first team in the early days but last season he never improved.

I nearly let him go last season but thought at £200 I'd give him one more year. Around two days ago I started to notice him more and now we're seeing a slow improvement in his stats. I know think Sam has a good chance of making it. He's unlikely to turn into a big money player but he's a tricky little winger and if he continues then he'll certainly get one more year from me. FM Live at it's best. Hundreds of little stories.

Sene continues to impress at Senior Level, I have now dropped Wendall and Derds as starting U21 strikers, their first team now. Patrick (120k) and Lens (Free Agent) now the two first choice U21 strikers. These are actually better than Wendall and Derds which I can't quite actually take in yet.

No comments: