Friday 28 November 2008

The Youth Gamne and Stuff

From what I've seen thus far a LOT more managers are taking more interest in youth compared to Beta. I always felt that for the most part I invested in first team as a priority and then the youth game. I could never much see the point in spending £20k wages on a player so that in five seasons he's actually worth £20k a day. That's £3m, just as well go and buy a £3m player!

There are youths that appear that are bankers, clearly going to be great in a few seasons and they are worth more but once a Gameworld gets going the prices start climbing fast. I decided to get a working U17 team after two days as hopefully if there is just one star in there it's going to have been worth it. The bankers will be going for £10k a day in no time so jumping in early makes sense.

U17 need to be kept fit and it makes sense to be able to field a team at this level, some of the players won't pan out I'm sure but they'll help to keep players fit. You always get a few shocks as well!

One of the kids I do have high hopes for is M'Villa, he's not a banker but he has the basics in place, finishing, some technique, strength at 13 for a 16yo is impressive and with aggression and bravery he's not going to be afraid to use this feature of his game. Going to get stuck in this lad!


We won't really know for a few seasons but we'll have an idea how far he can go during this season, if it doesn't work out? Well £300 a day that's not much of a gamble, low risk high reward, what the youth side of the game should be about. Seems odd that managers with big wage bids on 16yo want to take big risks for what is then effectively low reward.

Well you would assume so as we're still to here decisive action about what SI plan to do to keep Gameworlds alive. I do have something of a bee in my bonnet at the moment about Gameworld length although SI have been absolutely brilliant in their support of the game but I'm starting to get the impression that they have the rabbit 'bright eyes syndrome' on this issue. In saying that SI are not a team you underestimate so I'm sure there will be some action way before it's too late.

Looking at the senior team we need maturity and reputation, I think many managers go for a few low rep players which are average ability and then one or two stars. My plan is to have six or seven above average players with a few very talented kids. The average ability is the same just I should have a wider spread of ability on the pitch.

The back four I'm pretty happy with although the goalie is a big question, he's a nice shot stopper but that's about it. So we've lined up a few targets with good influence, bit of rep and able to organise the defence. There are a few on the list but bid is now in for one.

No comments: