Sunday 30 January 2011

The Match Engine and Real Life

Let me start by saying the Match Engine is not perfect and anyone who reads this blog will know I do not hold back if I think something is wrong with the game.

Reading the forum I suspect there is something up with red cards although I have not experienced this myself and corner exploits need to be kept on top of. However I think the ME (apart from a spell after reset where physical stats were overpowered) largely delivers realistic results. I'm not talking here about events but the end results.

However a lot of forum posters seem to think that this is not true because they have the wrong view of how random a game football is in reality.

So today for example a poster who is top of a league goes away from home gets a draw and says this is unrealistic claiming that in real life 1 in 40 games is a shock.

That is factually incorrect. How can I substantiate this well.....



Decimal Odds and Implied Probability
Lets start with something simple a tennis game, there are two players A and B equally matched so the decimal odds on both of these will be 2. You can work out the probability of this using the following formula:-

1 / Decimal Odds

So in this case 1/2 = 0.5, 50%. So in the tennis game the implied probability is 50%.

Now lets move on to football at the time of writing this was going on:-



So with 81 minutes gone and Villarreal leading 1-0 you can bet at 1.18.

1/1.18 = 84.7%, Draw 15%, Esponyol 1.3%.

Now if you are keeping up you will notice that that comes to more than 100%, which would suggest to me one of those odds is wrong can you guess which one?

Espanyol is too low at 75, they should be higher, the 101.2% denoted in the market total, you should only bet when this is close to 100%, 101.2 is pretty close.

1 comment:

Thom said...

I'd agree with that mate. The best team tends to win the league... But the way the ME presents the games is frustrating. One on ones and corners etc.

Look at the glitch results in the prem this season and you'll see these freak results happen in real life too.