Saturday 28 November 2009

The End of The Worlds

Now before you start reading this I've always enjoyed FM Live so whatever happens I'm sure I'll stay playing although I have cancelled all subs.

Well I think I get it now. SI's vision for the game is one of a flat pyramid structure where every team is pretty much on the same level.

The big plus to having a GW set up this way is that it's pretty easy to catch up and no one gets ahead.

So old GW's are just as attractive as old ones.

It's the total opposite of the direction I think SI should go.

The big downside of course is that SI HAVE NO CHOICE but to reset the GW's to do this.

Will it work?

The short answer is no.

Although I think their target market is still for the non-gamer who doesn't play football games. In other words not me or the current crop of managers, that's why their not worried about losing us.

Can you believe their still chasing that dream?

I can't.

The thing is though I stand alone, most current forum users can't come up with anything better than 'boost new managers' which gives you the same thing that SI are doing just from the other direction.

Clearly my vision of managers playing through a long deep GW isn't one that's shared by SI or much of the community. Maybe the newgen worlds will have some different features. I'm sure I read that SI expect the real worlds to be more popular.

Predictions time, sometime soon stadiums will get nerfed and the cash you get will be much lower than we see currently.

We might see wage tax and a new level, £150k ish. Not sure how their going to stop teams amassing massive amounts of cash with trading.

Might even see some limit to income so it's % over current wages like we see at low level rep levels.

All this will come in c.1.5 Feb March for relaunch with these controls in place.

Newgen worlds will be more popular than real by 3:1 ratio.

Some tight control on hopping GW's.

The worlds will start and bleed members like they always have. The tight controls won't work.

Some will get ahead some way most won't. The dreadfully slow pace of the game will continue and a total no no for any form of way of 'grinding' your way ahead.

The hardcore will get frustrated as they can't get anywhere, the non-gamer fantasy football type won't even show up.

After a summer of marketing the game by Autum the churn rates will be unavoidable. Finally after years of development the game will close or be sold.

Wow, reading that back it's pretty doom and gloom from me. I'm not even upset about a reset!

On the more positive front, well a fresh start is going to be exciting although it looks as if you won't be able to pick your starting squad. So maybe it won't be:)

What else errr I've enjoyed the game so far, enjoyed being in the beta. FML 3.0 will rock!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with u actually, and I think the current team at SI won't be able to make the game work.
As much as I hate to say this, the game was more fun in beta without all those stupid rules and regulations, and may be they should just leave us alone and not make any improvements/downgrades :(

BG United

T-Bag said...

I think you are wrong!

Newgen GWs are doomed to failure unless they come out with something I can't even imagine. They will have the exact same problems the current GWs have and on top of that the database will be screwed like live and then you start to get all the ME problems (massively one footed regens are causing huge ME problems)

But this returning stars thing is genius. I've just restarted in Miller and have a team equivilent to what a day 1 team had. This doesn't mean i'm suddenly as good as a top team or going to overtake them! They are still light years away in terms of stadium, cash, finances AND players. But now I have a solid base to build on. I have players I can sell, I have players that can develop with me - I HAVE WHAT EVERYONE ELSE HAD ON DAY 1.

Long term, it's going to stop the database being polluted by the shitty regens. I don't think they are ever going to get the code right for these to work.

New players are going to find this so much better. They will be able to sign players they have heard of and not be totally put off by having to sign dire players.

The cream will still rightly be at the top, it's just the bottom isn't as low as it was.

I was genuinely excited when I hit the restart button earlier and saw the candy on display. Despite the fact I was probably the only team who was looking through these players I was copying and pasting like a maniac trying to get my players ;)

mb said...

T-Bag has a great point about regens. Unless they are fundamentally changed to develop players that aren't flawed the regen worlds will be a disaster.

Jak-swan said...

I think M'Villa is a regen, I'll post up some Shearer regens for you.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying there isn't a problem cos the beta ones are awful.

Just I can see why there are not a mass of complaints about the issue cos if you were in Shearer you'd see what I mean.

I did note though that a lot were NOT high potential and I think a lot of newer worlds were filled with hoppers with JP.

Don't know if that's the reason or not.