Wednesday 26 October 2022

Top Drives New PVP Mode

  Now that PL15 is in the past and we are over the token disaster. We have the September Roadmap

I want to focus on 'New PVP Game Mode' and this is a potential fix to Top Drives trophy system.

Top Drives Trophies

I think I have mentioned this before but just to quickly recount my experience. I started playing Top drives around 3 years ago, initially I thought it lacked depth but changed my view on that once I got into the game. 

I found a few articles on how to grind cash in Top Drives, this involved 'smarfing' (farming and smurfing mash-up) and charged away and was doing great.

As my RQ rose I could see that it was getting harder but was progressing well and thought everything was fine until I reached RQ500 (was RQ150 at the time). 

I couldn't believe how uncompetitive I was, I then discovered that I was playing in the 'top bracket' as a result of my trophy count. At no point in the previous six monthes had I been aware that trophies had any effect on the game but now it was the thing that effectively killed the game for me. 

Just to play devils advocate:-
  • you could say well everyone has to go through a period of being not very competitive - this isn't true because if stay below 3000 trophies you are in one of the lower brackets. 
  • you can go back to be in a lower bracket - you can't trophies are locked every 500, e.g. pass 1500 trophies you can go below 1500 again
So from my POV trophies it isn't fit for purpose, what breaks it though is the 500 lock, I would have carried on playing if that lock had not existed.

So why lock at 500, according to Hutch that is to prevent people 'smurfing' their trophies.

So what did I do, I restarted and smurfed my trophies for 2 years!

Ultimately we don't need a new 'PVP game mode' we need two changes to the trophy system.
  • More tiers, the top tier is 3000+, there are many players with six figure trophies  
  • End the lock
That fixes the current system no new modes needed. 

Final point some will say that players will smurf their trophies, two counters to this (1) they already do because of the 500 lock (2) you lose 10 trophies for finishing bottom of an event, +50 for winning, so if you smurf your trophies to 2990, you win one event you have to lose the next 5 events to get back under. 



No comments: